Republic Aviation Corporation, Plant No. 2
Responding to a high volume of orders from the US government, the Republic Aviation Corporation opened a plant in Port Washington in 1951 to manufacture wings for its F84F Thunderstreak and RF-84F and F-105 jet fighter bombers. Employing over 3,000 people, 10% of them were Port Washington residents.
Photo of the northern hangar seen from the west, circa 1953. From the collection of the Cradle of Aviation Museum.