Pan Am’s Sikorsky S-42B In Hangar
Photo from the collection of Willard Baker.
Boeing 314, Known As “Dixie Clipper”, Takes Off
The Dixie Clipper, a Boeing 314 flying boat operated by Pan American, was in service from 1939-1950. See our post featuring artist John T. McCoy's rendering of the Dixie Clipper here.
Pan American’s Sikorsky S-42B in Water, 1937
The "Bermuda Clipper" had the Pan American number NC16735.
Pan American Document Describing Port Washington Airport, 1937
[CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE] PORT WASHINGTON, U.S.A. PAA AIRPORT NO. B-335-4 REMARKS: Station operated by Pan American Airways - At present used as port of entry for U.S.A.-Bermuda services by Pan American Airways & Imperial Airways - Image from the Pan American World
Plaque at Town Dock Commemorating 1st Commercial Flights Across Atlantic, July 9, 1939
To commemorate the achievement of the first commercial survey flights made across the North Atlantic jointly by Pan American Airways and Imperial Airways* *Forerunner of British Overseas Airways Corporation Piloted by Captain Harold E. Gray, the Pan American Sikorsky S-42B Clipper flying
View of Hangars on Manhasset Isle, 1938
View of Manhasset Bay, in front of Pan American hangar on Manhasset Isle. Notice the flying boat that just landed! The hangar floors were absolutely without a grease spot on them anywhere, the docks and floats were freshly painted, and a
Built by Sikorsky Aircraft Co., this plane was used for Pan American's first flights from Port Washington to Bermuda in 1937 and for transatlantic survey flights.
Pan American Passengers Check-In, c. 1940s
No ticket kiosks, no metal detectors, no arrival and departure monitors
Passengers Prepare To Board Pan Am’s Boeing Clipper
Photo from the Pan American World Airways, Inc. Records, Archives and Special Collections Department, Otto G. Richter Library, University of Miami.
John T. McCoy Painting of 1939 Dixie Clipper
Caption reads: "Dixie Clipper completes first transatlantic passenger flight / New York to Lisbon, Portugal, June 29, 1939 / Boeing B-314". This flight had left from Port Washington the day before, captained by R. O. D. Sullivan, with 22 passengers on